Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Here Come the Girl Scouts!



Here Come the Girl Scouts by Shana Corey and illustrated by Hadley Hooper has gump-shun, just like Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low.  While I was a girl scout myself, I never knew the story of Juliette Gordon Low.  In fact, I didn't know who the founder of the girl scouts was.  Last year marked the 100th anniversary of the girl scouts and as such, many of my students participated in celebrations surrounding the centennial of the Girl Scouts and celebrating its founding leader, Juliette Gordon Low.  As a result, more than one of my third graders were asking for books on Juliette Gordon Low when they began their wax museum biography assignment.  To which I replied...who?  I promptly got materials from the public library to fill the gap that existed in our school library at the time.  And, now, after reading this picture book biography of Juliette Gordon Low, I can understand the fascination with her.  From childhood on, Juliette or Daisy (as I will now refer to her as because I'm getting tired of typing out Juliette Gordon Low...), so Daisy was different.  She'd actually fit in quite well 100 years later (I think), but maybe because she changed the way the world looks at girls.  She changed the way girls look at the world.  Daisy was truly ahead of her time, recognizing the importance of conservation, the importance of building confident young females, the importance of acceptance and understanding.  She was my kinda gal!

Some things I wish I'd learned as a girl scout:
  • How to secure a burglar with eight inches of cord (because, you know what I always have on hand...eight inches of cord!)
  • How to stop a runaway horse (what did they do??)
  • How to get the skin off a sardine (are you supposed to?)
  • How to brush your teeth if a crocodile takes your toothbrush (IF?  I think you might have bigger problems in this situation...)
And badges I wish had existed:
  • Dairy Maid 
  • Interpreter
  • Flyer
  My favorite element are the quotes from the first Girl Scout Handbook throughout the story.  "Every little girl...goes to make up some part or parcel of our great whole nation."  

Here Come the Girl Scouts!
ISBN: 978-0-545-34278-0
Published 2012 by Scholastic Press
I borrowed this copy from the library to read and review.
I plan to add this book to our school library collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment