Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library


Barbara Rosenstock does a great job cramming a ton of information about both Thomas Jefferson and the building and re-building of the Library of Congress into a picture book, making it accessible, entertaining and aesthetically pleasing.  I happen to enjoy books...and libraries quite a lot myself.  I like to think TJ and I would have gotten along well for that reason.  One of history's great contradictions though is his stance on slavery in America and I appreciate that this important part of his story is not glossed over or ignored.  Barbara Rosenstock chose to include an author's note as well as a note specifically about Thomas Jefferson as a slaveholder.  

Otherwise, I think the text is laid out artfully, including the notes displayed on open books.  And speaking of the art, John O'Brien's use of colors highlights the time frame during which Jefferson lived and the pixelated appearance adds a unique quality to each page.

The inclusion of a selected bibliography is helpful to readers looking to learn more and the quotation sources are especially helpful in validating the accuracy of the voice of the text as being authentic.

Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
ISBN: 978-1-59078-932-2
Published 2013 by Calkins Creek, an imprint of Highlights
I borrowed this copy from my public library to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment