Sunday, December 2, 2018

Curiosity: The Story of a Mars Rover



Curiously, I found this book in my TBR pile last night.  And the day before, my daughter happened upon the movie, The Martian.  Which, full disclosure, is not technically appropriate for 9 year olds and I’m not advocating their watching it.  But, language aside, the science is super interesting and after the fact, I realized that the Mars rover would be extra interesting to my daughter so I read Curiosity to her and we talked about how this rover was featured in the movie and how the camera was able to send still images back to NASA.  And we talked about the Jet Propulsion Lab and which parts of the movie featured that location. 

But…back to the book.  I was fascinated by the total number of missions involving exploration of Mars, including fly bys and landings.  The book focuses on the Curiosity mission, but the timeline outlines each.  I also found it interesting how each of the rovers lasted much longer than expected, what a windfall!  The book was lacking a bibliography or other sources.  For an added bonus, check this book out following the recent landing of Insight.    

Learn more about the NASA Curiosity Rover.


Title: Curiosity: The Story of a Mars Rover
Author: Markus Motum
ISBN: 978-0-7636-9504-0
Published 2017 by Capstone Press

This book was received from the publisher for purposes of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment