Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Viva Frida


Viva Frida.  So.  Some people may have difficulty with Viva Frida classified as nonfiction.  I don’t.  Though, admittedly, I am not all that stringent with such labels.  Does this make more sense in the “picture book” section.  Maybe.  But Frida was a real person.  And everything stated in the sparse text is true.  So there’s that.

Now that that’s out of the way.

I like the way the visuals flow through Frida’s boisterous life and into a dreamlike state.  Much like the wounded deer she often painted with her own head, Frida was a beautiful creature who was wounded early in life by polio.  But without being restricted to a hospital bed, would she have discovered her passion for painting?  Much of this backmatter was gleaned from Yuyi Morales’ afterword “My Frida.”  Looking closely at the illustration on the photographed puppet in this section, we see Frida painting her own heart, not on her sleeve.  But close.  So true.

Twitter:

Viva Frida
Author: Yuyi Morales
ISBN: 978-1-59643-603-9
Published 2014 by Roaring Brook Press

I borrowed this copy from my public library to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment