Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Frenemies in the Family: Famous Brothers and Sisters Who Butted Heads and Had Each Other’s Backs



I could NOT put this book down.  It kind of reads like a supermarket magazine, actually, but in the best possible way.  All the behind the scenes family drama I didn’t know I really wanted to know.  Kathleen Krull includes sources curated by each set of siblings which is very helpful for finding more information.  Ironically, I visited the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia just this past August with my mother and learned quite a bit about Chang and Eng Bunker there both in the section with the plaster mold of their coinjoined-ness and in the featured exhibit about the Civil War.  And (also over the summer) I read Deborah Heiligman’s Printz Award Winning (AND CYBILS Senior High Nonfiction Award Winner) Vincent and Theo. So, I’m familiar with some of the subjects of Frenemies in the Family, but within each story, I found nuggets of neatness.  I related to Steven Colbert’s mother  whose “rules” included: no fight between siblings could end without hugs and kisses; singing and dancing were always appropriate; and to never refuse a legitimate adventure.  Maple Lam’s comic illustration style brought humor to the pages, even those about sisters who REALLY didn’t like each other engaged in a pillow fight on the cover.  Kids and adults alike will love diving into the family dynamics in Frenemies in the Family.


Title: Frenemies in the Family: Famous Brothers and Sisters Who Butted Heads and Had Each Other’s Backs
Illustrator: Maple Lam
ISBN: 978-0-399-55124-6
Published 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

This book was received from the publisher for purposes of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment