Friday, December 20, 2019

Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc


Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc



For the past many years, I have been a panelist for the Elementary and Middle Grade Nonfiction category.  This year, I wanted to try something new, so I applied to be a panelist for poetry. I was thrilled to be accepted, but I have also loved diving deep in nonfiction. Voices was my first book to read for this category and I was thrilled to realize that poetry spans fiction and nonfiction, picture books, and chapter books. Poetry represents the best of both worlds!  In reading Voices, I once again had the opportunity to learn more about a topic about which I thought I had a decent grasp. In reading, I realized I only had a surface understanding of Joan of Arc’s story.  For example, I had no idea she was fighting against the English to push them out of French lands in defense of her king, Charles.  I love that quotes from her trial were interspersed between poems. My favorite poems were the shape poems included throughout to represent many icons of Joan’s story.  A candle, a tunic, a sword, all represented by their shapes in poetry.  Throughout, a poem titled “Fire” both grows and diminishes as a fire does, burning letters and words while growing taller, a symbol of the fire by which Joan was burned at the stake.  As I’ve found with other nonfiction titles through the years, reading Voices makes me want to read more about this remarkable historic figure who defied the odds and broke down barriers.

Title: Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
Author: David Elliott
ISBN: 978-1-328-98759-4
Published 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt


This book was borrowed from the public library for purposes of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment