Thursday, August 4, 2011

An Honust-ly Valuable Book (and Baseball card)

I debated over which title to write about from the completed side of my summer reading stack and settled upon another favorite first of a series.  Dan Gutman's "Honus and Me" is the first in his Baseball Card Adventure series.  I read "Jackie and Me" last summer as it was included in our local Reading Olympics list and caught my eye.  Then I enjoyed "Roberto and Me" shortly after it was published this past winter.  I resolved that this summer, I would read the other books, and do so in order.  

I love this series and how it combines different genre (sports fiction and science fiction) for the ultimate combination for reluctant readers.  Now, I don't consider myself a reluctant reader, but I could not put this book down.  I finished it in two days.  I enjoy baseball, but I had very little background knowledge of Honus Wagner.  I appreciate that Dan Gutman's didn't expect me to, as a reader.  He incorporates so many facts seamlessly, even down to the correct pronunciation of Wagner's first name, Honus as it would sound in honest without the t and is short for Johannes.  I even ended the night as I finished reading in a lively debate about the specific name of the company that produced the card.  We were both right, as Wikipedia (bad librarian) proved.  So, our marriage is still in tact over the great Piedmont/Sovereign debate.  See the brands that produced the T-206:

I was contacted to tutor a student as I was starting this book and decided it would be the perfect match.  As a result, I've linked to several resources to aid in comprehension for Honus and Me on Diigo

I am looking forward to reading and blogging about Dan Gutman's other Baseball Card Adventure books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment