Monday, July 6, 2015

Fictional Battles of Epic Porportions

I've begun actively getting to know my collection.  You may be asking yourself what I've been doing for the past five years.  Well, loads of things.  Let me explain.  The picture book section, in particular has always been a bit daunting to me.  I never felt sure that I wouldn't remove a book that a teacher has used in a lesson for years unknowingly.  I feel I have a handle on that sort of thing now.  You also can't very well systematically weed books based just on age because some great books are quite old.  But then there are gems like this one.  
Old.  And after a close read, it has gotta go.  This summer, I have embarked on a project and it probably won't get finished this summer, but at least I'm starting.  I am going through one shelf at a time and reading every book.  Not only does it help
Me make decisions if a book is still suitable for an elementary library, it helps me book talk the collection and present books to readers, both teachers and students in a knowledgeable manner.  Previously, I book talked.  And did so in a knowledgeable manner, BUT I probably plugged the books I knew in high rotation.  Now I am getting to know ALL of the collection.  It's a big job, but I think I am up to it.  And my daughter is getting to read a wide variety of books along with me.  Tonight, we read The Marshmallow Incident.  I was familiar with this one.  But I love it and didn't want to miss the opportunity to share with you all out there in the world.  I'm hoping to create lists of books l, like a wordless picture book list, as well as pairings.  So, tonight, I present a pairing of terrible misunderstandings.  In other words, the way most/all World Wars and Civil Wars begin.  


Now, do battle with some books.

No comments:

Post a Comment