Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Teacher Nook Book Club: The Graveyard Book



Our first teacher nook book club read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.  The experience itself was a great success!  Teachers have given me great feeback about the book and about the nooks.  As to my own personal reflection, parts of the book were slow for me.  And at other parts, I couldn't put it down.  Overall, I think the book is very well written and well planned.  Neil Gaiman is an eclectic and dark writer and the opening passage can turn some readers off.  In this NPR Story, Neil Gaiman himself writes about using horror as a condiment. 

Speaking of his opening passage in The Graveyard Book, "Gaiman was convinced this was not too much for kids, and that they would keep reading. "[I] wanted to make it very, very scary upfront, because it's never that scary again," Gaiman says."


I couldn't agree more.  Lately, there has been a focus on the "darkness" of children's literature.  Elizabeth Bird of A Fuse 8 Production talks about Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.

This book deserves a place on our physical as well as virtual shelf and will be getting one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment