Our school celebrated RAA on Friday, March 2nd. We had an all school assembly (split among our two large group rooms) with a special Seuss edition of PRTV complete with all sorts of features:
• Seuss Pledge of Allegiance
• Video from last year's LOC RAA celebration with first lady, Michelle Obama, as well as other read aloud celebs
• Lorax trailer
• Appearance from Dr. S, straight from the third grade wax museum
• Special Cat in the Hat version of "Mrs. Blakeman's Bookmarks"
• All school rendition of "Happy Birthday"
We were also joined by guest readers from Murray Avenue during the assembly. Following the assembly, partner classes went to classrooms to read with cross grade level buddies and later in the day, the whole school dropped everything to read. Overall, the day was a successful collaboration exhibiting the efforts of many to make a great day for all!
Here I am dressed as Dr. Seuss character, Daisy Head Mayzie in front of our library door. Our door is decorated for dual purposes. Our author visit was with "I Survived" author, Lauren Tarshis. Our door states "I Survived Read Across America". The door itself looks like the Cat in the Hat's hat and the stripes were created by students decorating index cards with favorite book covers.