Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Looking at Lincoln


Looking at Lincoln by Maira Kalman 

I enjoyed the path of this story, of a child passing a Lincoln impersonator on the street and then digressing into the tale of his life with some meandering thoughts and opinions interspersed.  While Kalman's style of illustration isn't my favorite, I think she made some excellent choices in what she chose to portray.  A lone log cabin, a stepmother who allowed Abe to dream, a hat that held notes, a soldier's uniform with a shot through the heart.  Powerful stuff.  My favorite illustration is the one of the cherry blossoms in DC.  I have been there for their blooming and it is spectacular!  The simple spots of pink, offset by the vibrant green grass brings this page to life for me.  The topic itself, is well timed to coincide with the movie, Lincoln.  The endpapers show the text of the Gettysburg Address, highlighting specific words to bring them to the fore of our thinking, as they may have been for Lincoln himself.

Looking at Lincoln
ISBN: 978-0-399-24039-3
Published 2012 by Nancy Paulsen Books
I borrowed this copy from the public library to read and review it.

No comments:

Post a Comment