Saturday, March 4, 2017

Princess Cora and the Crocodile


My 3 year old son has a penchant for nonfiction, specifically dinosaurs.  He enjoys picture books and loves sitting on my lap to read together.  But he doesn't have much patience for longer stories.  And Princess Cora and the Crocodile is just that.  It is illustrated (fantastically by Brian Floca, need I say more?!?) but it is a chapter book and 74 pages long.  So I had been planning on this particular book being something I would read with my 7 year old daughter.  And yet.  My son spied it on my bedside table the first night I brought it home and asked to read it.  I shall never deny such a request, so we did.  He made it halfway through before tiring.  He IS 3.  But he asked if we could finish it the next night.  Perfectly reasonable.  He (and I) LOVE Princess Cora and the Crocodile.  Belly laughs throughout.  He continues to ask to read it again (and again, I will always comply) and refer to the characters and their antics.  I love that this story of empowerment and finding your voice features fun as well.  I love that Cora's mother and father and nanny learned to really look at her (for goodness sake, they confused a crocodile for her all because of a dress and a mop for a wig) and see their expectations from her perspective.  And I love that Cora was able to explore and wander and build and discover.  And three baths a day is just excessive for anyone.  Next time I step on a cow pie, I hope to declare like Princess Cora, "I'm having an adventure." Find a copy of Princess Cora and the Crocodile to begin your adventure.

This particular quote speaks to me as a school librarian.  Freedom to read is essential for our youngest reader to discover their passions and learn about topics of their own choosing.  Don't pigeonhole kids with expectations that are beneath them.  Let them rise to the challenge.

"From now on, I want to choose my own books.  I want to read about sharks and tigers and fairies." ~Princess Cora from Princess Cora and the Crocodile by Laura Amy Schlitz

Likewise, my dino loving son doesn't JUST love dinosaurs.  He has diverse interests.  Like princesses and crocodiles.  And so much more.

Title: Princess Cora and the Crocodile
Author: Laura Amy Schlitz
Illustrator: Brian Floca
Published 2017 by Candlewick Press
ISBN: 978-0-7636-4822-0

This copy was received from the publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment