Monday, October 24, 2011

Red Ribbon Week Book Talk: Ghost Dog Secrets by Peg Kehret

I picked up Ghost Dog Secrets, assuming it had a lot more to do with ghosts.  I've been reading different spooky stories to think more about All Hallow's Read.  Let me begin by saying that I read Peg Kehret's Ghost Dog Secrets in less than a day.  I began the day finishing Bigger Than a Bread Box and I ended the day starting a new book, The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn.  In between I read GDS (as I will now refer to it).  I could not put it down.  As a reader...and a person...I'm a girl.  I tend toward "girl" books.  I'm making an effort to choose more "boy" books to balance out my booktalks.  And, of course, I love all books so it's not hard to do.  Back from my side note, I would classify GDS as a "boy" book, mostly because its main characters are boys.  This story and the teacher who, according to the students' perceptions, gets easily sidetracked, demonstrates the power of problem based learning and service projects for a classroom to make learning "real."  Beyond all that, without giving too much away, this book ties into Red Ribbon Week seamlessly.  But not until the end.  Supporters of the Humane Society, SPCA, and rescue dogs owners will especially love the story of the journey these boys undertake to rescue not just one dog, but also to prevent the future cruelty towards others.  Filled with suspense, this book is a realistic portrayal, too, of the potential dangers associated with confronting a real problem.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't think i t had much to do with ghosts I was kinda bored in the beginning but I grew to like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book!!! I have read it twice and it never gets old! PEOPLE AGAINST ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!

    ReplyDelete