Friday, December 9, 2016

Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends



So, I am JUST about to start reading but before I began, I flipped to the back to check if there were sources listed.  And there WERE!  Yay!  Last year, I read Kid Presidents.  And I LOVED it!  What I didn’t love was that there was no bibliography included.  So, before starting, I am already excited to see this included.  The bar is high for this one.  Stay tuned.

Yep.  Bar reached and exceeded.  LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.  I don’t even know what else to say.  You all have to read it, and keep an eye on this series.  Kids will love the kid artists.  Check out the presidents too.  Like I said, super fun book, I was just disappointed with the lacking sources.  I also have to backtrack to find Kid Athletes and check that out as well.  Kid Legends makes for a great series of books.  I'm excited to see what might come next!

I really enjoyed the variety of artists presented and the anecdotes from their childhood that helped inform their art and lifestyle.  Doogie Horner’s comic style illustrations add humor to even the most desolate situations, like that of Louise Nevelson (Leah Berliawsky) who went from an overcrowded ocean liner full of refugees to a literal kid in a candy store once arriving in a quarantine in Liverpool, England.  David Stabler knows just the right moments of each kid artist’s life to highlight to keep the reader turning the pages to find out more, like when Jackson Pollock’s brother cut the tip of his finger off with an axe (by ACCIDENT).  Kids love reading about overcoming odds.  And bodily harm.  This book is a win on both fronts!  I often see these types of books as jumping off points for reluctant readers.  After reading short stories about these artists, they’ll be ready to read more!


Title: Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends
Author: David Stabler
Illustrator: Doogie Horner
Published 2016 by Quirk Productions, Inc.

ISBN: 978-1-59474-896-7
This copy was received from the publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment