Thursday, December 8, 2016

Living Fossils: Clues to the Past



SO COOL.  Let me begin again.  I really thought my dinosaur obsessed son would love this but since there weren’t actual dinosaurs, he was not a fan.  He didn’t quite get that these creatures lived with the dinosaurs.  But I did.  And I think it is so cool.  I’ve thought often about birds as the direct ancestors of some vicious dinosaurs.  Particularly when thinking of our trip to Disney last spring.  My son (same one) and I were dining outside of the cafe area at our resort and birds were dive bombing him to try and snatch french fries.  We had to flee to the indoors to protect ourselves and it was scary.  Granted they were going for the fries, but it seemed as if they wouldn’t let a pesky 2 year old get in their way.  The instincts were there.  

Likewise, many of these “living fossils” (a controversial term among scientists, apparently) had developed defenses that didn’t need much to adapt further in order to survive.  They’d survived what many others hadn’t already, so why change?

Towards the end of the book, there is an additional section with more information about each of the living fossils that seems a bit redundant.  There are books and websites included for more information.




Title:  Living Fossils: Clues to the Past
Author: Caroline Arnold
Illustrator: Andrew Plant
Published 2016 by Charlesbridge
ISBN:  978-1-58089-691-7


This copy was received from the publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment