Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Whose Hands Are These: A Community Helper Guessing Book



For many of my CYBILS books, I try to incorporate reading them aloud with my daughter and son at bedtime.  My daughter and son are both quite selective in their book choices.  For example, my dino loving son has been enjoying Dining with Dinos.  I read “A Community Helper Guessing Book” with my daughter and she loved it!  She enjoyed the rhyming guessing game portion and asked to read the book several times that first night.  I enjoyed the inclusion of a variety of community helpers that might not normally be included in a book like this, for example scientists, potters, and news reporters.  I really liked the inclusion of many genders and races in each of the community helper roles and the author’s note.  The use of words like physician in lieu of doctor was also a great vocabulary builder because my second grader was stumped even though she knew what some of the jobs were, she also knew the expectation was a rhyming word.  I think this drove her desire to read it again and get it “right.”  Whatever her motivation, I love any book she wants to read again and again.


Title: Whose Hands Are These: A Community Helper Guessing Book
Author: Miranda Paul
Illustrator: Luciana Navarro Powell
Published 2016 by Millbrook Press
ISBN: 978-1-4677-5214-5


This copy was borrowed from the public library for purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment